You will find a Sample Agreement at the bottom of this page. The following Coach and Client Responsibilities, Privacy, and Termination sections are considered a part of the Coaching Agreement
Coaching is a partnership (defined as an alliance, not a legal business partnership) between a Coach and the Client in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires the client to maximize personal and professional potential.
- I understand and agree that I am fully responsible for my physical, mental, and emotional well-being during my coaching calls, including my choices and decisions. I accept full responsibility for meeting my goals and other agreed-upon outcomes. I am aware that I can choose to discontinue coaching at any time.
- I understand that Coaching is a professional-client relationship that I have with you, my coach, that is designed to facilitate the creation/development of personal, professional, or business goals and to develop and carry out a strategy/plan for achieving those goals.
- I promise that I will make the time needed to fully engage in this coaching process. I agree to be as present as possible during each coaching session. I understand that I am in the position of accepting responsibility for those assignments I agree to take on. I agree that I will complete those assignments in between coaching sessions. I will prepare for each coaching session by doing any of the agreed-upon preparation work.
- I understand that Coaching is a comprehensive process that may involve all areas of my life, including work, finances, health, relationships, education, and recreation. I acknowledge that deciding how to handle these issues, incorporate coaching into those areas, and implement my choices is exclusively my responsibility. I understand that coaching is not to be used as a substitute for professional advice by legal, financial or other qualified professionals and will seek independent professional guidance for such matters.
- I understand that Coaching does not involve the diagnosis or medical treatment of mental disorders as defined by the American Psychiatric Association. I understand that Coaching is not a substitute for counseling, psychotherapy, psychoanalysis, mental health care, or substance abuse treatment, and I will not use it in place of any form of diagnosis, treatment, or therapy.
- I promise that if I am currently in therapy or otherwise under the care of a mental health professional, that I have consulted with the mental health care provider regarding the advisability of working with a coach and that this person is aware of my decision to proceed with the coaching relationship.
- I understand that information will be held as confidential unless I state otherwise, in writing, except as required by law. I understand that certain topics may be anonymously and hypothetically shared with other coaching professionals for training or consultation purposes.
- I agree to serve as your coach and to help you achieve mutually agreed upon goals . These goals may include, but are not limited to:
• Personal and/or professional clarity
• Increased production and/or superior job performance
• Increased physical health
• Creating ideal personal and/or professional relationships
• Developing increased self-sufficiency and self-respect
• Developing greater self awareness
• Increased understanding of ADHD symptoms and systems
- As your coach, I cannot guarantee results. I can tell you that you will create different results just by having the courage to experiment with your life.
- During the time we spend together in our coaching, I will devote my time, thought, and energy to you exclusively. In between our sessions, I may not be readily available as I will be attending others, including myself. I will return your call or email as soon as I possibly can Monday through Thursday.
- I will maintain confidentiality regarding information you choose to share with me.
- I am not trained to provide psychotherapy. If any issues come up for you that should be handled by a licensed therapist or physician, we can stop coaching while you attend to your health. Or, if coaching and therapy can co-exist for you (you can still move forward toward your goals), we can continue.
This coaching relationship, as well as all information (documented or verbal) that the Client shares with the Coach as part of this relationship, is bound to confidentiality by the ICF Code of Ethics but is not considered a legally confidential relationship (like in Medicine or Law). The Coach agrees not to disclose any information pertaining to the Client without the Client’s written consent. The Coach will not disclose the Client’s name as a reference without the Client’s consent. Confidential information does not include information that: (a) was in the Coach’s possession prior to its being furnished by the Client; (b) is generally known to the public or in the Client’s industry; (c) is obtained by the Coach from a third party, without breach of any obligation to the Client; (d) is independently developed by the Coach without use of or reference to the Client’s confidential information; or (e) that the Coach is required by law to disclose.
Exceptions to Confidentiality Agreement
I recognize that in certain rare and unusual situations, my coach may be required by law or ethical considerations to reveal con dential information. Examples of these unusual situations include but are not limited to: when required by a court of law, such as the coach being called to testify by one of the parties or a third party; when the coach learns of information that poses a danger or threat of harm or injury to a person; when required by ethical duty or law to report, such as if coach learns of abuse or a workplace harassment situation.
Release of Information
The Coach engages in training and continuing education pursuing and/or maintaining ICF (International Coach Federation) and PAAC (Professional Association of ADHD Coaches) Credentials. That process requires the names and contact information of all Clients for possible verification by the ICF, PAAC or the coaching school. By signing this agreement, you agree to have only your name, contact information, number of coaching hours and start and end dates of coaching shared with ICF and PAAC staff members and/or other parties involved in this process for the sole purpose of verifying the coaching relationship, no personal notes will be shared.
According to the ethics of our profession, topics may be anonymously and hypothetically shared with other coaching professionals for training, supervision, mentoring, evaluation, further coach professional development and/or consultation purposes.
Termination of Agreement
Either the Client or the Coach may terminate this agreement at any time. All payments are considered final and no refunds will be given unless agreement is terminated by the Coach.
Revised: October 25, 2017